Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Welcome all!

As a pre-k teacher, I sometimes feel like I'm not a part of the rest of the elementary school and wondered if any other pre-k teachers out there were feeling the same. It's not that they intentionally leave us out, but most programs, announcements, curriculum, etc. are aimed at kindergarten and above.

I began the 4-yr-old-at-risk program in our district 4 years ago and until this year, I was the only pre-k teacher in the district. Now I finally have a wonderful teacher to collaborate with! :) Over the past four years, I've had many questions about this program and pre-k in general and didn't have many people to bounce my questions or ideas off of. Since Gayle has taken over at KSDE, she has been a wealth of information, and I have a wondeful friend that teaches pre-k in Cheney that has been fun to work with! Everything I've come up with (curriculum, testing tools, forms, schedule, etc.), I've developed myself and would love to visit with others to see what wonderful things they've come up with that they might be interested in "sharing" with other pre-k teachers. The KELI-4 testing threw me for a loop, and that is another area we might enjoy blogging about as the end of the year testing requirements get closer.

So, here's the point of this blog. I was hoping that we could post questions, ideas, helpful suggestions, etc. that we come up with throughout this year on this blog and that others could respond to our postings. Does this sound like something you'd be interested in? Gayle said she would announce the blog for me so early childhood teachers would know about it. She also suggested that kindergarten teachers might benefit from such a blog too, so I entitled it the Kansas early childhood blog instead of the pre-k blog.

What do you think? I'd love to hear your ideas, opinions or suggestions! :)
Becky Thompson
Valley Center

No comments: